Monday, December 23, 2013

** 2013 Running ~ Year in Review **


WOW, what a year 2013 has been for my running!  When everything else in my life seemed to fall apart, running kept me together and it built me up so much stronger ... physically & mentally!  I started running 5K's and one or two 10K's last year, and so this year I set a challenge for myself :  I wanted to complete my first half marathon.  Well, if you are laughing or rolling your eyes while reading this, I didn't believe I could even complete ONE 13.1 let alone all that I have accomplished in 2013.

   
I want to thank all of my running friends who kept me motivated along the way, by inspiring me through their own journeys or just the friends that thought I was crazy to attempt it, which in turn motivated me to set bigger goals. :)




In 2013, I not only completed my first half marathon (Daytona Beach Half Marathon), I ran and completed 8 half marathons this year!  I am not the fastest runner but I try to beat my PR each time I go out.  Along with my eight 1/2's, I also completed 8-5K's, 1-4 miler, 4-10K's, 2-10 milers, 2-15K's, 3 adventure mud runs, my first trail race (10 miler) and a trail half marathon, countless virtual races ranging from 5K's-1/2 marathons through Fit 4 Life Race Series, and many many training runs leading up to all of these races.  (Some other notables were a Distance Dare of a 2 miler & 10K, the Tour de Pain Extreme in Jacksonville which was a 5K, 10K & 1/2 marathon all within 24 hours, 2 Ragnar 200 mile Relay races...one from Miami ,FL to Key West, FL (FL Keys) and the other from Hull, MA to Provincetown, MA (Cape Cod), and finally I climbed 25 flights in the Bank of America building in Orlando to raise $$ and support lung health through the American Lung Association.)



Through all of this I fought injury(Plantar Faciutus & Heel Spurs) and won! I also lost my first toenail, hehe!


I met so many new running friends through WVR, Team RWB, VCR, Bling Whores, the entire Fit 4 Life Race Series community and Half Fanatics...who I qualified to be a member after only my first 2 half marathons.  I am half fanatic #3720 and have "mooned up" from one to three moons throughout the year! (Neptune to Saturn)




I am SO PROUD to call myself a runner and I can't wait to see what 2014 brings me.  It's time to lace up my shoes and run into the New Year!